Wednesday, May 14, 2008

More for Thing 16 - MnLink

A staff person was wanting a book for her daughter doing a college course. I decided to try MnLink and got into the resources held to discover that there was not only the book but a video of the book. My colleague was very interested.

Neither was I able to access on MnLink this time but I knew what was where in order to call and find out if the video were able to be loaned. It was at Augsburg and the Librarian was very helpful leaving me messages to call her back that regrettably she was working that night and yes the video was loanable through ILL.

I went to the St. Paul Public Central Library and requested both the book and the video at Augsburg. The paperwork was initiated there.

As I was leaving dinner with some friends that Friday night, I called Augsburg and got the same Librarian and we discussed the speed with which the loan could be consumated and assumed it might not take but a week.

Some problems: I had reserved the item in my name and with my library card number. With an ILL it is IMPOSSIBLE to change checking it out except with the person's card that reserved it. Luckily, I had given my colleague my card and she was able to check it out. With the online reservation system, there is no way to discharge the request without checking it out on the card with which it waas reserved.

I will have to give the online option another chance.

No comments: