Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Reflective

I say "learning is the most exciting thing there is!" and I have thought of myself as a lifelong learner grabbing classes here and there wherever I was. When this opportunity came up, I jumped in with a great deal of enthusiasm. Working with the dynamic young teachers on our staff was a great deal of the appeal. Throughout the undertaking (and I use the term advisedly) of this course, I have felt like it has been the most difficult thing I have done in a long time...but no less rewarding in the final analysis. The formalizaiton of the research process and the standardization of this process and the three R's is exhiliarating as a concept that is not only past its infancy but well on its way to being recognized. The technical part was what was most difficult but the learning all that more dynamic as a result of it. The two parts of this that were most frustrating had to do with the introduction of these concepts whether in a District-sponsored class after school at 1930 Como or in one of our monthly sessions, I felt I needed everything to have been in such slow motion and it seemed as if the concepts were discussed but not while we could work along. Learning on my own had some promise as I could go at whatever speed I wanted but the little parts of using some of these technological concepts had so many little slippery slopes even in just creating an account and working your way though the website which might or might not have been all that user friendly. My decidedly poor form in trying something new militates against some success in that I try something and it doesn't work. Thus, I try it again, and do nothing different, and....guess what...it still doesn't work. The third time I do exactly the same thing with exactly the same results, I am shut down. The human interactive part is essential for me in learning experiences. Once I am shown a concept and I successfully use it, no problem.
So, despite the whining, I must say that I have been stretched in my technological capacities beyond belief. I would truly like to shadow a participant next year without the homework so as to get it all again having gone through it a little and being better able to take it all in.
I think it had been a long time since I had taken a class and this was a great opportunity for which I am very grateful.
Finally, working with the awesome staff members that I did made it truly "special." They have done great projects with their classes. They were already very competent young teachers but they have now added this exciting and potent media appreciation factor to their bag of tricks and I am lucky to have had this opportunity with them.
Thanks,
MM

No comments: